I read in one of the Sunday papers that this it what grown up children who return home when they’ve already once flown the nest are called. A growing phenomena now that so many newly graduated youngsters don’t immediately land their dream job. Or any job…
Husband says our boomerang is ‘back on the payroll’. Rather harsh in my view as to me he’s a gift from God in more ways than one. I shall count the ways:
1. His return coincided with daughter’s departure.
2. He’s an excellent, innovative cook. We spend hours planning menus with simple fresh ingredients, and sometimes he even cooks lunch after a session in the gym.
3. He knows when I want (read ‘need’) a drink. He knows which wines I like, usually Sauvignon Blanc, and that it needs to be nicely chilled and poured into my favourite, large glass.
4. He has definite opinions about everything from politics to literature to fashion and can argue his case intelligently until the cows come home (and does…).
5. He’s got a wicked sense of humour.
6. Best of all, we never tire of his company as he leaves us for weeks on end to ‘be a social butterfly’ or to be with his girlfriend in Oxford. A perfect boomerang.